Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Marriage

For all who are for calling a gay union "Marriage", I have the following proposal to make.

A man and his 18-year-old daughter are in love.  They have very deep and passionate feelings for each other.  They are both legally adults.  Mom is dead, or mom and dad are divorced.  (incidentally, I do not have a daughter, nor am I married to my mother -- this is a purely hypothetical exercise.)

Should father and daughter be allowed to marry?

You can call them sick-o's, but that's what a lot of people call gays.  (I am not one of those people, but many people -- maybe even half or more of America... does.)

How does this fall outside the definition of Marriage that is being proposed?  Sure, there are possible genetic problems that could result from offspring, but remember, one of the arguments being put forward by the pro-gay-marriage crowd is that marriage is not about procreation.  The man will get a vasectomy.

So now it's just down to a moral question.  Should man and daughter, mother and son, mother and son, father and son, mother and daughter, brother and sister... be allowed to legally marry?

Remember, I'm in favor of legal same-sex unions.  I just question the idea of calling it marriage.   Ultimately, I'm talking about semantics. 

So... who is to say that a father-daughter marriage is wrong or immoral?  Is it only YOUR morals that matter?

Or are you just a bunch of incestophobes?

Government out of my bedroom!

What do you all think?

     - the Devil's Advocate



No comments: