Monday, April 14, 2008

Elitists

So I'm reading this article at the Washington Post. Yeah, I've been keeping up with what's going on... just haven't had much to say and I've been preoccupied with other things... not much posting here.

The article itself was pretty straightforward. I didn't have a problem with it.

Then I started reading the comments. Wow. I have to wonder what most of these comments have to do with the content of the article. I saw a lot of name calling and straw men and empty leftist ranting...

  • How often does Mchypocrite go to church? Elitist? Who married into the hundreds of millions Henley estate?
  • oh, good grief. must propel the lies... as if john mccain, with his six homes, private airplane, top tier medical coverage -- has a friggin clue.
  • I seem to remember in history class learning that a lot of people threw themselves from windows when the Great depression hit. I guess since he married a beer heiress he doesn't have to think about that.
  • So the guy with how many houses and a second wife that is how rich tells us Obama is "elitist."
  • Wow, now Republicans who have trouble getting people of color and white women to vote for them are not elitist?

So "Wealthy" = "Elitist", aparently.

Fortunately there were several commenters who obviously get it: "Elitist" means "We Know Better Than You Do", not "Wealthy". But "Wealthy" = "Elitist" is pretty much the attitude the rest of what was in the comments represented by the quotes above exuded. And I'm sparing you the sputtering diatribes of leftist rage. (oddly, "Halliburton" didn't even show up once, though. I guess that's so "last year"). They also seem to conveniently ignore that Obama and Hillary are also wealthy. But McCain is Republican, so he's evil. Plus he's white. And male.

This commenter summed it up pretty well:

Obama's comments are offensive because he's saying that small town voters are gun toting, xenophobic racists and that they can't help it because they're poor.

I don't think the "bitter" thing matters nearly so much...

No comments: