Thursday, June 26, 2008

To kill, or not to kill?

Probably not going to be too popular with this one, either.

I have no sympathy for a child rapist. Emotionally, I'd wanna cap 'em. If it were my kid, I'd wanna cap 'em myself.

But this is a decision that does have some arguments in its favor. And below the best one I've heard.

To kill, or not to kill? Not from the sentencing point of view, but from this point of view.

Is it worse to rape or to kill? Both terrible. One is worse. It's worse because it's permanent. It deprives you of any chance for any future happiness. The other one, still more than reprehensible. But still not the worst thing that can happen. Death still tops that.

Now look at it from the point of view of the rapist. The bastard has done the dirty deed, and now he's thinkin' -- if I get caught, I'm gettin' the death peanalty either way. So why leave a witness?

'Course -- life in prison, no parole? Maybe with a Child Rapist tattoo on them? I can live with that.

I'm not trying to cut the rapist slack. I'm just saying it's a defensible position to say it's not the worst of the worst of crimes. Frankly, I probably wouldn't've been too upset if it had gone the other way, either.

No comments: