Thursday, July 10, 2008

English Only

Heard NObama on the Radio this morning saying:
You know, I don't understand when people are going around worrying about, "We need to have English- only." They want to pass a law, "We want English-only."
You know, I don't understand people going around talking about people going around worrying about "English-Only". Who, excactly, are these people? I've heard of people wanting to pass a law making English the official language of the country. And even Barack says he's got no problem with that. But that is a far cry from requiring that people speak nothing else. So... all you scolders out there -- I want you to tell me who "they" is.

I'm sure there are a few out there. There are also people out there who think they're from the planet Zork, for crying out loud. I'm not too worried about them, either.

If I go to visit Germany, I would be at a disadvantage because I don't know German. I would be grateful that most Germans can get by in English. And if they didn't that would be my tough luck. But if I ever went to LIVE in Germany, well I would fully expect that I would have to learn German. Why should it be any different here?

We're concerned about mandates that our schools and government offices and whatnot offer classes and services in languages other than English. It increases the cost to us, and as Barack said, they need to learn English anyway. Plus, where do you draw the line? After Spanish? After Arabic? After Swahili? After Eubonics?

No comments: